Today I received an invitation to attend a workshop in San Antonio. “Starving to Successful, a one-day, intensive workshop where you will learn everything you need to know to get into galleries and sell more art” I watched the teaser video for the workshop and I have to say, he had a couple ideas that I was surprised by. I opened up the link for the ‘mini-workshop’, thinking I would be bored to tears. I'm not saying I know everything about this market but at this point I feel like I have enough experience in art history, marketing (corporate and small business), technology and customer service to really have a firm idea of a healthy representation and marketing plan for visual art. I have created two websites over the last 9 years and a slew of visual representation aids for prospective buyers and galleries. We have talked with two galleries and both of them want to show Gordon’s work. His work pretty much sells itself, but still, I think I can pat myself on the back a little for being mostly self-taught. By the way, if you are going to school for a BFA thinking you will learn much about pimping out your work, think again. I think we had one class at Webster, but…..remember it, I do not. I learned more from reading just one of the dozen or so marketing books I have read. I don’t blame them. Most who graduate with a BFA go into teaching eventually anyway, with art production as a side. This is our first time really creating work for show outside of an academic setting too!
So, thirty minutes ago, I was sure I probably wouldn’t attend, now I wonder if this four hour workshop isn’t worth the $59.00 price tag. As always, before I really wonder that, I think about all the people I could meet at the workshop. What experience they will have, who they will know…..$59.00 networking event might be different. If nothing else at all….it would be great to blog about!
What really interests me is the workshop is being presented in Dallas, San Antonio, Houston and Austin. The speaker is from Scottsdale, AZ (very near and dear to my heart) and travels all around the country doing these four hour workshops. Austin and Dallas I understand, but apparently he finds San Antonio a valid enough market to expect a good turn out to his event. I want to know what he knows that would lead him to believe this workshop will be welcome and attended. I know its a great emerging market, I love it and I see the potential and the need for the knowledge he will be professing (obviously, vis-à-vis this blog) but I would love to know/see what he is looking at or who he knows out here. Maybe I should ask him……

No comments:
Post a Comment