Gordon is working on the second horse today. I took this photo a few days ago, since then it has changed a little. It’s going to be a large one. It’s over six feet so far.
In the meantime, there isn’t a lot happening in the city. I’m going to C4 Workspace tonight to meet Jaclyn Friedman (very excited), so for the first time I’ll get to see that space. I haven’t yet talked to anyone over there or really looked into a show there, but I’m sure I’ll find out tonight.
I have been having really dismal thoughts about the future of art and artists. I was sure when the world became as divided as it has that we would see art about it. Is everybody numb? This period of time deserves a movement, a manifesto, an art revolution. 14 years ago I started looking toward the next art revolution. Something politically driven. Maybe the catalyst is coming…..(?) I hope so. Maybe it’s happening right now, under our noses. Maybe it has nothing to do with paint or wood or clay. Maybe it has nothing to do with paper, bicycle wheels or video tape. Maybe that’s the point. Maybe all that is dead. Maybe that’s the revolution. See where the dismal attitude is coming from?
I don’t really see a market for new art now. And lets face it; people are much less inclined to do things that aren’t necessary for their survival or their ego. Like writing this blog with nobody out there to read it…….must be an ego thing. ;-) Where is the artist’s incentive to express themselves? Gordon works full time in a career completely counter-intuitive to the creation process. How he manages to spend another 20-30 hours a week in the studio, is amazing. Such a polarity isn’t easy. It does take a toll.

No comments:
Post a Comment