Tonight we visited AnArte Gallery for the opening of Cynthia Holmes work.
-
-
The space felt too small when we walked in but we got used to it as we walked around. I have to reflect upon my days as a working artist/student living in the 'Art Lofts' of St. Louis (my living room area was larger than this exhibit hall.....I was really lucky). The colorful table/bar area was attended by a cheerful woman who immediately offered us a drink.
We arrived at 6:47 pm as Ms. Holmes was just getting finished with her 6:30 intro. Unfortunately we missed her intro, but I was really impressed by the gallery's dedication to NPO's. We met gallery owner Ana Montoya later in the evening, but during the first few minutes of our arrival, she introduced the nonprofit CARE (Cressie Animal Refuge and Enrichment) to the general audience. Upon offering 10% of the proceeds of this evenings sales in donation, Ana turned it over to the founder of CARE. Along the baby grand piano next to the door was also a 'Help Haiti Benefit Concert' flyer. Back in St. Louis (maybe it was just the '90s and just the time, but....) we didn't see much of that with the art scene. Whatever an artist could take, they were lucky, and they didn't waste time thinking about much else. Back then though, some of us, meaning artists, were wild enough to think we could make enough of a living on art alone.
We met an adorable woman while we were there. She had no hesitation walking up to us to see what our favorite paintings were. She was older, retired and volunteering at the gallery two days a week. I wish I could remember her name and I wish I could have taken a photo of her, but she was truly a light in the evening. She kept telling me that I should get a glass of wine. She makes me smile, even now as I write this.
-
As you can see from the photos, the space is one room. Ms. Holmes work was on three walls with the piano and the bar at the entrance. From what we have seen so far in the city, it was a good turnout. I suppose, after enough shows, we might see the same people, but that hasn't been the case so far. Our visit at the Gallery Nord two months ago was very lonely. I think there were three other couples there. Last week we went to BlueStar, and though that was a completely different expression and crowd, we did notice something consistent.....and very French......we continue to see little dogs being carried around the galleries, completely content. Oh, I wish I could bring the greyhounds!
I took some photos of Cynthia Holmes work:

No comments:
Post a Comment