Both Gordon and I create in a loose and organic style. We push and pull color, play with balance, turn things upside down, layer, scratch, cut, and push every material to it’s limit.
Thursday night was another trip to Blue Star and a good little show by Lari Gibbins. The last words that would come to mind when looking at her work are organic or loose, and though Gordon and I didn’t have much in common with her as an artist, we appreciated her approach to the spatially commanding piece on the wall. Click here for a video on the installation.
There wasn’t much of a crowd though and Gordon and I were soon enjoying calamari and stout at the brewery.
Over the weekend, Gordon spent about 14 hours in his hot studio working on the second horse’s wings. He has a brilliant system of connecting the wooden armature/paper wings to the sculpture and it’s currently going through trials.
We were lucky to talk to Debbie Curtis, the co-owner of C4, on Friday night at the opening of Ernesto Olivo and Deanne Cuella’s new work. I’m so happy there’s such a progressive and forward thinking collective in San Antonio. C4 just keeps getting more and more impressive. I wish we lived closer and I could keep up with all the happenings.
So, now comes the pre-show prep. I haven’t done it in a while and I really enjoy it, so there is a lot to look forward to. First on the agenda is to settle on a name for the show. There are so many things floating around my head, I hope Gordon can help me pick through later today.
I have some contact information for local newspaper and online zine reporters for the arts and I will be in process of eliciting their attention all week. I haven’t had much luck getting an indy bookstore to partner with us for the book-signing piece of it, so we may have to purchase the inventory ourselves. There are pros and cons to that. More profit in the short run; royalties for books sold through book sellers are under $1 each and if we purchase it’s better, but if we have any inventory left we are stuck with it and may have a loss at the end.
I have to settle the book aspect of the show, order postcards to advertise it, print the exhibit list, contact the reporters and write press releases…. better get crack’n.

No comments:
Post a Comment